Here are a few easy steps you can take to prepare for winter and prevent a potential leak or expensive repair later.
1. Trim back any trees that hang over or cover the roof
2. Use a blower or broom to clean all debris off the roof (never pressure wash your roof!)
3. Clean out the gutters and inspect for rust or holes (be careful not to bend the gutters)
4. Clean debris from all downspouts using water pressure from a garden hose
5. After you are finished, perform a visual inspection of the roof by either walking on the roof or with binoculars from the ground or a ladder. Look for cracks in composition shingles, or holes in shakes or wood shingles where black felt paper is exposed. Also look for any missing shakes or composition shingles.
6. If you find any of the items in #5, it’s time for a professional roof evaluation and repair. If caught early, you can often prevent small problems from turning into major repairs.
If you have a tile or flat roof system, we recommend you hire a professional for the above maintenance. We would be happy to help, just give us a call at 408-971-9000 or visit our website at www.eastmanroofing.com.